Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom and the National Wildlife Federation (NWF) are partnering for an exciting opportunity for young conservationists — the 2023-2024 Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom College and University Grant Program.
Wild Kingdom has a long legacy of inspiring the next generation of conservationists. As we continue this work today, we’re looking for college or university students, faculty and staff who are working to help protect and/or restore wildlife and/or their habitats. By partnering with NWF, grant recipients will have the support and resources from organizations focused on conserving our wildlife and wild places.
Grant program details
Protecting threatened, vulnerable and endangered wildlife across the United States starts at the local level. Recipients will have access to NWF staff and state affiliates for support on campus and with community projects.
Some areas of focus may include:
- Developing and implementing plans to protect and/or restore habitats for any threatened or endangered species on campus or in the community
- Conducting research on threatened or endangered species on campus or in the community
- Conducting a survey of species on campus, especially any threatened or endangered species
- Establishing a campus garden with wildlife in mind
- Adopting and implementing sustainable landscaping practices on campus with wildlife in mind
- Incorporating smart growth strategies in regards to a campus expansion project with wildlife in mind
- Introducing environmental solutions to urban spaces with wildlife in mind
- Engaging with the community in a conservation project with wildlife in mind
We’re seeking teams who are dedicated to this mission from all academic disciplines. Applicants are not limited to scientific fields, such as environmental studies or wildlife biology. To be eligible a team must have:
- A project lead who is a faculty and/or staff member (at least 18 years of age)
- At least one undergraduate or graduate student (at least 18 years of age) who serves on the project team and writes a letter of support to accompany the grant application submission
Grant perks and privileges
- $7,500 to $10,000 grant awarded
- Professional development resources, assistance and networking
- Recognition by NWF and Wild Kingdom social media channels
To learn more and apply, read the Request for Proposals. All applications must be submitted by Dec. 15, 2023 at midnight.
Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom is proud to partner with many incredible conservationists and organizations working to keep our wildlife safe. Check out these other great animal and conservation stories from our partners.