If doing a “good” job has never been good enough for you – let’s talk. We’re searching for someone who strives for excellence. A professional who truly goes above and beyond to exceed expectations. Just being a technology whiz won’t cut it. We need much more:
We need a motivator who can empower teams to excel and aim for their highest level of performance.
We need a collaborator who can reach across our enterprise to build consensus and engage stakeholders.
And we need an innovator who understands the impact technology can have on a company’s business systems and processes.
So, if you have the power to innovate, motivate and collaborate, bring your amazing talents to Mutual of Omaha. Combine your power with ours and see how far we can go together!
In an environment where continuous improvement is sought by everyone, every day, Mutual of Omaha's Information Service operation seeks individuals who are technically proficient, highly engaged, passionate, creative, innovative, and flexible. This I/S Information Services Manager (ISM) will provide technology leadership through management of team members, resource and initiative planning, setting short-term and long-term goals that meet organizational objectives, and partnering with others to create ongoing success in a variety of technology settings. This role will serve as trusted advisor, coach, mentor, and liaison with both technical and business partner teams.
The selected individual will be responsible for managing a high performing storage services support team and mainframe database support team. The ISM will act as a product owner, and will be ultimately responsible for adoption, success, and ongoing improvement of storage and mainframe database systems including SAN/NAS/Storage/Backup and DB2/IMS mainframe database platforms. This individual is also accountable for maintaining budget and leading vendor negotiations in this area.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Lead the Change – Steer the organization toward Lean management behaviors, habits, and results. Demonstrating an urgency for change, communicate the need for the change, build a plan for successful change, understand and manage the change process, and address problems as they come up. Be a change agent and take a system view of the transformation.
- Know the Way; Emphasize Lifelong Learning – Create an environment that promotes learning. Encourage team members to build relationships with Customers and Suppliers and expose them to other worldviews. Strive to learn and understand new developments in Lean, Agile, and contemporary management practices. Create and foster formal and informal groups for learning and improvement (Communities of Practice).
- Develop People - Employ a Lean leadership style that focuses on developing skills and career paths for team members rather than on being a technical expert or coordinator to tasks. Create a team jointly responsible for success. Learn how to solve problems together in a way that develops people’s capabilities and increases their engagement and commitment. Respect people and culture.
- Inspire and Align with Mission; Minimize Constraints – Provide missions and vision, with minimum specific work requirements. Eliminate demotivating policies and procedures. Understand the power of self-organizing, self-managing teams. Create a safe environment for learning, growth, and mutual influence.
- Decentralize Decision-Making – Establish a decision-making framework. Empower others by setting the mission, developing people, and teaching them to problem-solve. Take responsibility for making and communicating strategic decisions – those that are infrequent, long lasting, and have significant economies of scale. Decentralize all other decisions.
- Unlock the Intrinsic Motivation of Knowledge Workers – Create an environment of mutual influence. Support Lean-Agile principles and values. Provide purpose and autonomy; help workers achieve mastery of new and increasing skills.
- Provide stewardship of Technical Asset’s condition and currency through the technology lifecycle of the asset; partnering with the Solution Lead and Product Owner on backlog items and priorities. Accountabilities include the adoption/relevance of the asset, business partner user satisfaction, audit point resolution, license management /acceptable use of the asset, asset procurement and vendor management, contract management, Open Pages risk owner and compliance.
- Create an environment where the facts are always friendly. Providing freedom and safety so individuals and teams are free to innovate, experiment, and even fail on occasion. Valuing productivity, quality, transparency, and openness over internal politics and/or waste.
- Builds strong partnerships within Mutual of Omaha and with External stakeholders.
- Coaches team on identifying risks or dependencies. Strong advocate for sustainable pace. Assist team with removing impediments.
- 3+ years I/S experience or equivalent management experience combined with technical acumen
- Bachelor's Degree in information technology, project management or business; or equivalent experience
- Develops and coaches assigned personnel toward the achievement of career goals and plans while meeting the objectives of the Company. Facilitates horizontal development (growth within a given job level) and vertical development (movement of strong performers to the next job level) where applicable.
- Selects, trains, and appropriately uses staff resources. Aligns or acquires resources needed to deliver effective results. Builds a versatile and flexible organizational unit. Successfully utilizes contract employees where applicable.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with business partners and suppliers. Exhibits effective technical/business skills and understanding to conceptually discuss the technologies/processes required to meet customer business requirements. Formalizes, understands, and negotiates customer/supplier priorities. Balances immediate problems with established tactical/strategic I/S and customer plans. Successfully understands the impact of technologies on Company problems and processes. Treats customers with respect, dignity, and appreciation. Adds value to customer interactions.
- Ensures commitments are met exploiting the appropriate defined architecture and infrastructure. Effectively guides and executes project control techniques. Guides development of sound business cases.
- Functions as a positive role model, strong coach, and change agent. Builds a team that understands operation, area, and team visions and strategies. Motivates, inspires, energizes, and helps people overcome barriers.
- Consults and participates in the development and/or selection of technical solutions as required. Understands concepts associated with the I/S architecture and information services industry. Understands the impact of technologies on Company problems and processes. Manages the orderly introduction and change of technology to the company.
- Proactively seeks new opportunities to creatively apply technology and knowledge within Team, Area, and Division.
- Actively supports and understand I/S Core Processes. Guides the operation of the processes. May actively participate in the construction, enhancement, and deployment of core processes. Searches for and recommends suggestions for process improvements within Team, Area and Division.
- Understand Mutual of Omaha’s business processes. Participates with management, as requested, to define, review, or modify business processes. Understands how specified technologies can enable business processes.
- Pursues operational excellence and continuous improvement.
- You help promote a culture of diversity and inclusion within the department and the larger organization. You value different ideas and opinions. You listen courageously and remain curious in all that you do.
- You are able to work remotely and have access to high-speed internet.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
- A diverse workplace where associates feel a sense of belonging.
- An organization that feels like a small, close-knit community and has the strength of a Fortune 500 company.
- Tuition reimbursement, training and career development.
- Comprehensive benefits plan that includes medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance.
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and childcare needs.
- 401(k) plan with a 2% company contribution and 6% company match.
- Competitive pay with an opportunity for incentives for all associates.
- Flexible work schedules with a healthy amount of paid time off.
- For more information regarding available benefits, please visit our Career Site.
- Estimated salary range $125,000- $150,000.
- Pay commensurate with experience.
MUTUAL OF OMAHA:
Mutual of Omaha serves more than 4.8 million individual product customers and 39,000 employer groups. Our legacy of stability creates an environment where every associate is encouraged to experiment, innovate and grow in their own unique career path.
From day one, you’ll have the tools to be your best self at work. Here you’ll do meaningful work and your talents will have a positive impact on peoples’ lives as we help our customers protect what they care about and achieve their financial goals.
Each associate is a unique contributor to creating a diverse, dynamic, thriving and inclusive workplace. We want you to become engaged … feel a sense of belonging … and contribute to the company’s exceptional future.
Join forces with a company that can AMPLIFY YOUR STRENGTHS AND EMPOWER YOUR CAREER.
For inquiries about the position or application process, contact our HR Helpline at 1-800-365-1405.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at 1-800-780-0304. We are available Monday through Friday 7:00 am to 4:30 pm CST we will reply within 24 hours.
Mutual of Omaha and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
To All Recruitment Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.