10 Tips to Land the Perfect Career
While you certainly have the power to succeed in today’s workforce, the process of finding a new job can feel overwhelming. Here are 10 tips from Mutual of Omaha’s recruiting team to help you show up and be your best when looking for a new job. Good luck!
- Go ahead and apply. Be confident in your skills, take the first step and apply! Women apply to 20% fewer jobs than men each year. According to Harvard Business Review, this isn’t because they can’t do the job, but because they believe they need to meet every item on a job criteria list. If you read the job description and believe you can do the job, go for it. There’s no harm in applying!
- Always have a current, well-written resume. Keep a well-written and organized resume on hand so you don’t miss out on any opportunities that may come your way. If you’ve added responsibilities to your current job, be sure your resume reflects these new skills. In addition, update your objectives and cover letter to reflect the job you’re applying for. Finally, have someone look over your resume and cover letter to make sure it’s easy to read and grammatically correct.
- Make sure the recruiter can contact you. Include a current phone number and email address on your application and resume so you can be reached easily. Take the time to update your voicemail message and make sure the mailbox isn’t full. Use an email address that’s professional and one you check frequently.
- Prepare for the interview. Research the company, practice interview questions and answers, and rehearse your personal statement or elevator pitch. Enlist your spouse, roommate or a friend to help you. “Winging it” during an interview puts you at a disadvantage. Instead, search for questions commonly asked in your industry’s interviews to be prepared.
- Create a great first impression. Whether your interview is virtual or in person, make sure to dress professionally and be well-groomed. If you’re interviewing virtually, tidy up your background and choose a well-lit space.
- Take credit during the interview. The interview gives you an opportunity to expand on your contributions and successes in past roles. It’s common for the interviewee to be generous in including an entire team instead of focusing on their individual contributions when describing accomplishments — especially with female interviewees. Take pride in what you have accomplished and focus on your part in the overall outcome.
- Brag a little. Your interview is your chance to show the company just how much they stand to gain by hiring you. Don’t be afraid to spend some time discussing your qualifications and your accomplishments. Let your confidence shine through!
- Ask questions. By asking your interviewer questions, it not only shows you are interested in the company, but it can also help you to determine if the company will be a good fit for you. Be sure to think of some questions ahead of time that are important to your decision-making process, such as vacation policy, work-life balance, overtime expectations and growth potential.
- Leave room to negotiate salary. When salary is discussed during an interview, ask the pay range of the position before sharing your ideal number. This allows you the chance to hear what the company has budgeted for the position. If the range shared encompasses the salary amount you have in mind, simply respond by saying the range sounds reasonable, and that you’re confident a fair compensation package can be agreed upon. This leaves room to negotiate later on in the interview process.
- Make a good last impression. A polite wave goodbye on a virtual interview or an in-person handshake are not the end of your interview process. Be sure to collect an email address or office address to make sure you are able to send a note following the interview and thank the interviewer for taking the time to speak with you.
Interested in joining Mutual of Omaha? Be sure to check out our current opportunities by visiting our clicking “Job Search” at the top of the page.
Hot Jobs in Information Technology
Perks of Working at Mutual
We’re mutually invested in your future, our legacy of stability allows us to offer you a comprehensive benefits package that goes beyond just a paycheck.Explore Benefits and Perks
The power of TECH
We build next-generation insurance and financial solutions for our Fortune 500 company by using modern technology and data. This mission takes some serious smarts, intense curiosity and determination to be the best.Join Our Talent Community Find an Opportunity